"Remain, as I do, incomprehensible: to be great is to be misunderstood"- Oscar Wilde.

"You knew what my Art was to me, the great primal note by which I had revealed, first myself to myself, and then myself to the world"- Oscar Wilde.

October 4, 2012

Steven Perrette

It's October! You know what that means- the Melbourne Show is pretty much over. Love it or Hate it (who could?) the Melbourne Show is a highlight of the September calendar... With its show bags, epic rides, animal shows and country style competitions,  the Show captures the imaginations of young and old.

Steven Perrette is an artist completely enamored by the color, noise and frenetic energy of The Show.

Last year, when I (Christina) was curating Steven's Solo Show, I came across an amazing body of work that would consistently returned to this incredible subject. You can make an appointment to see for yourself in the Arts Project Australia Archives.

Anyway, it wasn't long after Steven's exhibition opened that Steven and The Sisters Hayes were off to the Ballarat Show! Steven is the show bag KING! He knows the best ones and is all about old school value. We were impressed... he even brought large shopping bags to haul his loot home. The thing is, Steven's love of the show is infectious. I think it is because Steven is generous. He gets show bags for other people- not just his friends and family either. One time I saw him give a show bag to an artist in the studio he'd barely exchanged two words with all year.

Why tell you all this? All will be revealed in less then two weeks!


Visiting the petting zoo

Christina and Steven with his show bag stash

No comments:

Post a Comment